Ready to dive in and start designing your IVR? Learn how below.
Configuring Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
To configure your IVR, use the Configuration Options available for Nodes and Options to direct the caller to the desired destinations.
Nodes are menus which direct the caller to the Options available. When you create a new IVR, your default Node will be called "IVR Start". This Node is the beginning of your IVR. You can add additional Nodes by adding Menus.
Configure Nodes using the Settings below. Be sure to click the "Update" button to save any changes made to these Settings.
- Node Name (1) - The name of the Node, which appears in the IVR Map.
- Node Description (2) - The description of the Node.
- Audio Settings (3) - Use these settings to configure an audio greeting for your Node.
The Audio Settings enable you to record or upload a custom audio file to play when the caller reaches the Node. Typically this recording will describe the options in the IVR and direct the caller to choose an option by dialing an extension (e.g. "Press 1 for Sales"). Recordings can also be used to provide helpful information, such as your business hours or address.
- Play a Sound File on Entry checkbox (1) - Check this box to enable Audio Settings.
- Play button (2) - Review the existing recording.
- Record button (3) - Record a new audio file.
- Upload button (4) - Upload an existing audio file.
Note: The audio file will not play unless at least one Node Option is configured as Key/Extension Pressed.
- Option List (1) - If your Node already has Options, they'll be displayed here. Click an Option to edit it.
- Allow Extensions (2) - Enable your callers to connect by dialing an extension.
- Add New Option (3) - Add a new Option.
By enabling this setting, you can offer extensions as an Option and enable your callers to connect by dialing an Agent's extension.
When you enable this setting, the Prefix drop-down menu will appear. Use this menu to configure a prefix that must be entered before the extension, if desired.
Option Rules and Actions
Configuring Rules and Actions
Once you are done configuring an Option, click the Update option button (1) to save changes. Alternatively, you can use the Cancel Update button (2) to cancel changes, or the Delete Option button (3) to remove the option.
The following Rules are available for Options:
Selecting the "Default" Rule will automatically direct the caller to the Action once the Node greeting (if configured) has played.
If "Key / Extension Pressed" is selected, the caller will be directed to the extension when they dial it.
Selecting "If the Time Is" Rule will direct the caller to the Action if the call occurs during a certain time frame that you specify.
A single day may be configured as one of the following:
- Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
A day range may be configured using the days separated by a dash, e.g.:
Time may use the following regular or military time formats:
- Regular time: 8:15a, 8:15am, 5:15p, 5:15pm
- Military time: 08:15, 17:15
Note: If "a/am" or "p/pm" is not specified when using regular time, the time will be set as "am".
You may specify a time range before ("<") or after (">") a specific time, e.g.:
- After 6pm: >6pm
- Before 8am: <8am
Note: Times do not extend to the following day. For example, ">6pm" would mean between 6:00pm and 11:59pm of the same day.
Examples for configuring open hours:
- Regular: Mon-Fri 8am-6pm
- Military: Mon-Fri 08:00-18:00
Example for configuring multiple time frames:
- Regular: Mon-Fri 8am-6pm, Sat-Sun 8am-2pm
- Military: Mon-Fri 08:00-18:00, Sat-Sun 08:00-14:00
The following Actions are available for Options:
Ends the call.
Add to DNC List
Adds the caller's number to the DNC List.
Forward call to..
Forwards the call to the extension or external number you specify.
Transfer to queue
Transfers the call to the Queue you specify.
If the Queue fails (1), you can select a backup Action:
You can also set the Action to After Hours Mode (2), which will send the caller straight to the Queue Voicemail.
Transfer to menu
Transfers the call to an existing Node/Menu you specify.
Transfer to new
Create a new Node/Menu for this option. You can then configure the Node.